Hopefully some of the following will be of interest to you.
Gayle & I have tried them all, even our fussiest eater Mr. Harley will not turn up his nose when presented with a dish of the following, although he will eat raw chicken necks till the cows come home & cooked liver & sardines. My Lad is a strange one but then that’s why we love him so much.
The following dishes are acknowledge:-)
Courtesy “Samlhamo Kennels”
- 10kg chicken & beef
- 1kg brown rice 1.5 kg honey (optional)
- 1 kg pasta (more if so desired)
- 1kg grated veggies (more if so desired)
- 1 doz eggs
- 750 grams rolled oats
- 350 grams mashed potato
- 250grams bran
- 250 wheat germ
- 100 grams lecithin
- 2 pkts French powered soup (sieve out the onions)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
Cook rice & pasta, when completed- mix all ingredients together.
Put in containers & freeze.
#If you want meat cooked, combine all ingredients together and put in oven for 1 hour
#If meat left raw, eggs do not require cooking (otherwise scramble them)
Jean’s and my dogs enjoy this & as she told me and I agree No Skin Problems.
Courtesy of “Belvedere Recipes”
- 1 kg chicken mince
- 3-4 carrots, sliced
- bunch parsley or beet greens, chopped fine
- 1 glass white wine
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups rice or fine macaroni
(plus spoonful of glucosamine for elderly arthritic dogs)
Method: Heat pot and sizzle the chicken with wine, add carrots and water
and simmer 20 minutes, then add rice or macaroni, simmer 15 more minutes
(adding more water if necessary) and then the greens. Stir through
thoroughly, cover, turn off the heat and let cool. If using, add the
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 710 ml / (3 cups) water
- 2 large potatoes, peeled / grated
- 4 large carrots, grated
- 2 large celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2.5 kg lean minced beef ————–you can use chicken, / lamb, / roo (have tried all) for variety
- 8 eggs
- 1 dash salt
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 200 C . Grease 36 cups of 3 large muffin trays.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, uncovered, and cook 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool several minutes, then fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, carrots, celery, minced beef, and eggs. Mix ingredients together using your hands or a wooden spoon. Add salt, olive oil, rolled oats, and rice; mix well.
- Grease each muffin tray. Fill each muffin cup with some of the meat mixture, and pat down the mixture to make it firm. Bake 45 minutes, or until surface feels set. Cool on a rack 10 minutes or longer.
- Remove the meat paddies by turning the muffin tray upside down over a sheet of aluminium foil. Tap each muffin cup to release the cake. Refrigerate or freeze in sealed plastic bags. NOTE: Do not feed to dogs while still hot.
- 1/2 kg. beef liver
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2- cloves garlic
- 2 eggs
Puree liver and garlic in food processor. Add eggs, whole wheat flour and cornmeal. Grease baking paper and pour mixture onto sheet. Bake in 180 deg. C oven for 20 minutes, flipping over halfway through baking. Cut into desired sized squares.
I usually place 1/2 of this recipe in a Tupperware and keep in the fridge. The other half I freeze…….these freeze well.
Homemade Liver Pasta
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 8 ounces beef liver
- 3 whole egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 tablespoons butter — optional
- Puree beef liver in blender until smooth. Add eggs and blend for about a minute.
- Put flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the center of the flour.
- Pour liver and egg mixture into well along with olive oil. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Turn dough out on floured board and knead well for at least 5 minutes or until smooth and shiny.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and let dough rest in refrigerator for at least 1 hour, no longer than 2 days.
- When ready to make pasta, divide dough into 8 equal portions, approximately 4 oz. each.
- Form into desired pasta shapes with hands or use pasta machine.
- Cook in rapidly boiling water until al dente. For thin noodles, approximately 10 minutes, for thicker noodles a few minutes longer.
- Drain noodles and toss with 1 tablespoon butter per serving, if desired.
Homemade Dog Biscuits
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons dry parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 egg
- 5-6 cups whole wheat flour
Preheat oven to 180 ° C.
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the parsley, garlic, broth, honey, and egg. Gradually blend in flour, adding enough to form a stiff dough.
Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth (about 3-5 minutes). Shape the dough into a ball, and roll to 1/4-inch (6 mm) thick. Using small bone-shaped cookie cutters, make biscuits! Transfer to ungreased baking sheets, spacing them about 1/4 inch (6 mm) apart. Gather up the scraps, roll out again, and cut additional biscuits.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over. Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Let cool overnight. (After we finish baking all batches of biscuits, we turn off the oven, then spread all the biscuits out on one baking sheet and set them in the oven to cool overnight. The extra time in the oven as it cools off helps make the treats crispier and crunchier.)
Makes several dozen small bones that keep and freeze well. We like these biscuits because they’re quick and easy and we always have the ingredients on hand to make them. Our boys like them because they’re good!
.. Thanks to the sister in-law Gloria Mitchell for these, a long time King Charles Cav. breeder & Show person, well known in KIWI Land
If you have a failing puppy this will help,honestly we have relied on this for two pups, you should see them now.
BEEF LIVER REMEDY FOR FADING PUPPIES
This is an old remedy, but seems to work wonders.
Take a large piece of beef liver, add a little bit of water,
and boil slowly, about 5 minutes, until the blood comes out. Let cool,
drain the liquid and put just 4 drops (no matter the breed) into a
dropper and give to puppy.
At first you give it every 2 hours for 12 hours, then every 4 hours.
Continue until you feel the puppy is thriving.
Don’t use any of the liver itself, it’s way too rich, just the liquid.
- 1 x 8 oz. carton of vanilla yoghurt
- 1 x can of evaporated milk (not low fat) 6 oz boiled cooled water
- 2 x egg yolks (someone once told me to add a tablespoon of mayonnaise)
This keeps well in the refrigerator and the pups thrive on it. Put a drop of Pet Nutri Drops in before the feeding or on their tongues before the feeding.
- 10 oz. evaporated milk (whole fat or part skim — do not use all skim) or goat’s milk
- 3 oz. sterilized water (baby water or boiled water) — delete if using goat’s milk
- 1 egg yolk (raw)
- 2 Tablespoons regular mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 cup whole fat yoghurt (whole fat or part skim — avoid all skim)
Place all ingredients in a blender and mix (or use a wire whisk) till well blended. Use all formula within 7 days. Warm formula to puppy body temperature before feeding (dogs are 101 degrees). Always discard formula leftover at a feeding. This formula is thick and so is best administered by stomach tube. If using a bottle, you may need to enlarge the hole slightly. It provides 11 calories per cc.
- 1 cup Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup boiled, cooled water
- 1 raw egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons Natural Yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 cup milk Goat’s milk or evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salad oil 1 drop baby vitamins
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup of canned Condensed milk or Evaporated milk 4 oz plain, full-fat yoghurt
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon of baby vitamins
- 1 envelope of Knox unflavoured gelatine in addition to other ingredients will help keep stools solid.
- 13 oz. can of evaporated milk
- Equal amount of water
- 4 oz. of plain yoghurt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of liquid vitamins.
The water element is very important in any formula. The newborn puppy has a tremendous need for water, since he himself is almost 85% water.
- 50/50 Evaporated Milk and WARM (pre-boiled) water
- 1 beaten egg yoke
- 1 Teaspoon of Sandoz Calcium
- 1 Teaspoon of Glucose Powder 3 drops of Pentavite Vitamin Drops
- Strain with a tea strainer.